Sunday, September 11, 2011

Walk of Hope

Today is the day that my Munchkin and I are doing the Walk of Hope (Fundraising for ovarian cancer research)  for the first time.  I'm a bit nervous about it actually.  I've never really been the type to participate in these sorts of things.  I've always been a bit of a loner and not really into big "group" activities.  Probably part of the whole tormented goth thing, but hey.  Also, probably the fact I didn't used to be into exercise and the like either didn't help much.

I also have mixed feelings about these large events.  I always wonder how much money they are actually raising vs how the event costs.  I do hope the registration fee does cover it.

I think part of the nervous is going to do a big group activity where I know no one.  I'm sure it will be fine and we'll have a good time.  I do have my built in conversation piece that will be hanging off of me.  The bike ride for the Ride for the Heart has been fun the past couple of years, but I was doing it as part of a corporate team and therefore knew a bunch of people.

But I'm doing it.  I felt it was important to do something towards fundraising since I had that damn ovarian  cancer in 2010.  And maybe it's making me feel a little more involved than just throwing some money at it.  I'm not sure why as I'm not actually doing anything to cure the cancer or research.  I'm just going on a walk.

The only bad thing is I did a dumb baby toe stubbing yesterday that still hurst so I'll be wearing the Tevas instead of my running shoes.  Ah well.

It will be interesting to meet some of the other survivors too I'm sure.  I know many many people went through far worse than I did.  I mean hey, I've got Munchkin now.

No comments:

Post a Comment