Sunday, August 28, 2011

Getting rid of the past

I find it interesting the reasons why it can be so hard to get rid of stuff.  There is the obvious one I usually seem to have trouble with is the "but's it's useful" or will be someday.  As a boss once said "I ended up buying new ones anyway because I couldn't find the useful stuff in the basement".  So he pretty much emptied the basement.  I kind of like that idea to a certain degree. I shall be working on it.

So today I've been working on the keeping stuff because of memories/sentimental value.  I went through a few of my clothes in the basement.  These are things that I don't want to let go of because they remind me of fun times in the past or who I used to be and would perhaps want to be again.  There are also items that I just like to remember and like to think I would wear again.

So today I got rid of a few a few items.  One was a jean jacket I used to love.  Way back when, Black Label (the beer for those who don't know) had a fabulous ad campaign (I think it was at least 20 year ago now).  Really cool graphics and the like.  I was the lucky recipient of a boatload of the promotional material (ie. jackets, T-shirts, watches etc).    I've hung onto the jacket ever since.  I'm never going to wear it, again, but it brings back good memories, especially of the caring and kindness of the person who arranged for me to get all this stuff.    But today I decided that it was time to let it go.  So it's in the pile to go up on Ebay.  I'll have a picture of it and some fond memories.

The other that I'm letting go of a bit is some of my uber goth clothing.  It doesn't really fit anymore and it should just go.  But it feels like I'm loosing a little bit of who I am by doing that.  But the stuff has got to go.  We don't have the room and I need less stuff to look after.

The other easier things to let go of have been the rollerblades from the failed "learning how to rollerblade " incident from at least 7 or 8 years ago.

Now all of this stuff is in the house, it's just all prepared for leaving.

I think I'm feeling a little lighter already.

No comments:

Post a Comment